H2OCHK Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I take a test reading of my pool or hot tub using H2OCHK?
A: To ensure accuracy, follow the below instructions:
- Open the H2OCHK App and tap on “Read Strip” section of the H2OCHK App. Select the appropriate lighting condition: Outdoor or Shade/Indoor.
- With dry hands, remove a strip from the bottle and re-cap the bottle. Be careful not to touch reagent pads.
- Dip the strip into calm water (if hot tub, turn off jets) a minimum of 6 inches (15 cm) below the surface of the water. Horizontal dipping is recommended, to avoid any possible bleeding between pads.
- Wait two seconds, and remove the strip from the water.
- Shake once, lightly, to remove excess water. Ensure there is no color bleeding between pads. If bleeding is noted, discard the strip and repeat Steps 2-5.
- Place the strip on your clean, dry hand or lay it flat on a clean, dry, flat surface.
- Hold or set the strip in full sunlight (or indoor lighting) and ensure that no shadow or glare is present.
- Wait 20 to 25 seconds, and then use the H2OCHK App to take a picture of the strip. Line up the dashed line guide in the H2OCHK App so that each reagent in the camera view fits inside the box for which it is calibrated. When the test strip read is captured, results are immediately shown on the screen. Wait no longer than 45 seconds to take a reading, or else a new test strip will have to be dipped into the water and read by the H2OCHK App
Q: Can I test more than one body of water (such as an additional pool and a hot tub/spa) on the H2OCHK App?
A: Yes. The H2OCHK App allows you to keep track of multiple bodies of water, which include stored historical data and keeping track of chemicals used in each one.
Q: How long should I wait after dipping the test strip into the water to take a reading with the H2OCHK App?
A: You should wait 20-25 seconds after dipping to take a reading. Conversely, you should wait no longer than 45 seconds, or else a new test strip will have to be dipped into the water and read by the H2OCHK App.
Q: How deep into the water should I dip the strip?
A: We recommend a minimum of 6 inches (15 cm).
Q: How often should I test my pool or hot tub?
A: During swim season, a pool or hot tub should be frequently tested:
- A pool at least once per week
- A hot tub at least twice per week
- More often if the pool or hot tub has high usage
Q: How long are H2OCHK Test Strips good for?
A: You can maximize the shelf life of the H2OCHK Test Strips by storing the bottle in a cool dry place, away from heat and moisture, and closing the cap back on the bottle tightly after each use. As long as you do this, H2OCHK Test Strips have a shelf life of up to one year.
Q: What should I do if my test results produce an Error read multiple times?
A: Error readings occur when the pad coloration is out of the expected range. This can be a simple problem from pad contamination or use of expired strips, or it can indicate a severely imbalanced pool/hot tub. When a reading error occurs, use a new strip to retake the test. If you are getting consistent error readings, consult your pool professional before swimming.